Thursday 15 October 2015

To me, I cannot hear a unique accent or think I even have one, yet I know everyone has a different way of pronouncing, speaking and projecting words, therefore I figured I must have my own language in one way or another. To explain my own language, when I hardly know myself, is quite hard so I believe a little background history may help myself and others work out a little more of how my language was formed. I was born and raised in the City of Bath where I currently live. I was always told to speak 'properly', yet always questioned what 'properly' meant. I am often told I have a typical Bath accent, which I was confused about and more commonly named as 'posh' by the way I pronounced some words. However, during school there was a vast variety of cultures and backgrounds in which I mixed with and believe I picked up a few other accents and speaking habits during the 8 hours a day, 5 days a week, for a period of 5 years, you're bound to have picked up something. Most of my friends were from Bristol which is why I think I speak in a combination of ways depending on the topic of conversation. Now my accents can go both ways. The main reason for warnings and telling off during school (ask anyone) was for being 'too loud' and 'all chat, no work' which I disagree on. So overall, I have no idea what my language, accent or specific way I talk is, and its very hard to pin down once you think about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment